James "Jim" Murphy (born September 25, 1947 in Kearny, New Jersey) is an American award-winning author. He has authored over thirty-five books, the majority being about American history. Murphy has written two Dear America books and two My Name Is America.
James Murphy was born on September 25, 1947 in Kearny, New Jersey. He attended Rutgers University and did his graduate studies at Radcliffe College. Murphy worked in juvenile publishing, until he left to work on Weird and Wacky Inventions (1978).
Murphy currently lives in Maplewood, New Jersey with wife, Alison Blank, and two sons.
- The Call Of The Wolves (1989)
- The Long Road to Gettysburg (1992)
- The Great Fire (1995)
- A Young Patriot: The American Revolution as Experienced by One Boy (1996)
- Blizzard! The Storm That Changed America (2000)
- An American Plague (2003)
- The Real Benedict Arnold (2007)
- Truce (2009)
- The Crossing: How George Washington Saved the American Revolution (2010)
- Invincible Microbe (with Alison Blank; 2012)
- Revenge of the Green Banana (2017)