- "In memory of Private S/14143, Richard Symons Hay, 7th Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. Killed in action, 25th September, 1915, Battle of Loos, France"
- "Shells were landing all along the barbed-wire entanglements in front of us, throwing up great fountains of earth, shattered wooden stakes and tangles of wire. Heavier guns were targeting the strongpoints behind us. We huddled down as low as possible in the bottom of the trench as the ground heaved and clods of earth flew through the air. The sound was a physical presence — a hammer beating constantly in my head.
Allen McBride has fought in some of WWI's bloodiest battles. He has seen his comrades, and his best friend, killed. But tonight he waits in a shed outside Amiens, accused of desertion, to discover if dawn will bring a last-iminute reprieve — or execution by firing squad."
- Main article: List of Shot at Dawn characters
- Main article: John Wilson
- "The publisher wishes to thank Dr. Desmond Morton, author of Marching to Armageddon, A Military History of Canada, and When Your Number's Up: The Canadian Solider in the First World War, for sharing his historical expertise, and Barbara Hehner for her careful checking of the factual details."