The Hunger: The Diary of Phyllis McCormack is the first book in the My Story series by Scholastic UK. The book was written by Carol Drinkwater, her first in the series. It was first published in April 2001, and reissued in May 2008 and February 2015.
- "For my mother, Phyllis McCormack, and in memory of all those who have lost their lives fighting for Ireland or struggled to make a living there."
- "10th November, 1845
Horrible! Horrible! The rot has destroyed most of the potatoes which were wholesome and sound when we dug them out of the ground. Da opened up the pit this morning and found it filled with nothing but diseased mush. All we have left to eat are those that hadn't yet gone underground. "Six months provisions are a mass of stinking rottenness. Where has it come from?" Da kept repeating all morning. "Disease will take us all," he drawled. I felt my skin go cold when I heard him. What are we to do? We'll have to use the rent money to buy food, and then what? If we don't pay our rent, we'll be thrown into the road."
- "It's 1845 and blight has destroyed the precious potato crop leaving Ireland starving. Phyllis works hard to support her struggling family, but when her mother's health deteriorates she sets off in search of her rebel brother and is soon swept up in the fight for a free and fair Ireland..."
- Main article: List of The Hunger characters
- Main article: Carol Drinkwater
- ↑ https://www.bookdepository.com/Hunger-Carol-Drinkwater/9780439997409
- ↑ https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2070577686/ (French)
- ↑ http://www.gwales.com/bibliographic/?isbn=9781843238836 (Welsh)
- ↑ https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/13638
- ↑ https://www.amazon.ca/My-Story-Hunger-Irish-1845-1847/dp/1443100145/
- ↑ https://shop.scholastic.co.uk/products/95107
- ↑ https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B06ZZ58CKR/ (Chinese)